Last night, my wife and I watched the two-part finale of Miranda (aired originally at Christmastide; she has seen it many times already, worry not). At one point in the show, Miranda finds her ‘Bucket List’ whilst cleaning out her things. It includes items such as ‘Marry Gary’, and ‘Have Gary’s babies’, and ‘Go horseback riding on the beach’. The concept of the Bucket List — in case it’s new to you — is that it is a list of things to do/experiences to … experience … before you kick the bucket. So the top most specialest things you wish to do in your lifetime.
I don’t have a bucket list.
This is not because I have anything against bucket lists. ‘Gather your rosebuds while ye may’, and all that — a bucket list should hopefully help you live life to its fullest. I simply happen not to have one, and really feel no lack. If I had made a bucket list at some point, several things would have to be checked off by now:
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- Pyramids at Giza
- Rome (esp. Colosseum, Pantheon, Capitoline Museum, Vatican Museum, St Peter’s)
- London (esp. Westminster Abbey, St Paul’s Cathedral, British Museum)
- Scotland (still missing bits!)
Hm … those are really all places to visit. Oh, also:
- See Bosch’s Garden of Earthly Delights in person
Things that I still wish to do if such a bucket list existed:
- Walk Hadrian’s Wall
- Walk the pilgrim route to Compostela, Spain
- Loire Valley cruise with visits to the chateaux
- See the Ring Cycle live (not in one sitting)
- Ring Cycle DVD marathon (in one sitting with friends; you only live once)
- Transcanada road trip a mari usque ad mare
I think this would be my bucket list? I dunno. I have been blessed in visiting a lot of beautiful cities and seeing their monuments and the artwork/artefacts contained in their museums and galleries. I also have enough leisure time to read a lot of books, living in an age when I can get my hands on almost any book I want — and reading is most of what I want to do, anyway.
Other things I want to do are of a different nature — be a good husband (trying), or raise kids (hoping), or be a published fiction writer (lots is unpublished!), or all the things associated with my career goals.
I wonder what a bucket list would look like in a year from now?